Funeral Director or Apprentice
Description For more than 100 years, Dokken-Nelson Funeral Service & Crematory has been an important part of Bozeman, Montana and the Gallatin Valley—helping families create meaningful life celebrations for their loved ones. At Dokken-Nelson our purpose is to give support and comfort to the families we serve, conduct our duties with compassion, and respect the significance of every family and every life lived.
Dokken-Nelson is looking for a Funeral Director or Funeral Director Apprentice to coordinate and arrange all aspects of funeral-related services including but not limited to:
Duties and Responsibilities
• Arrange, prepare, and conduct funeral services in a professional, organized, and caring manner
• Ensure services run smoothly and as planned according to the family’s wishes
• Transfer the deceased from the place of death to the funeral home—which will at times require heavy lifting
• Preparation of deceased persons for public visitation, burial, and/or cremation
• Perform cosmetic and restorative work
• Greeting, ushering, and/or driving processional vehicles for services
• Prepare legal documents and perform required administrative tasks
• Issue death notices and obituaries to newspapers
• Prepare memorial folders and video tributes
• Discuss and prepare contracts for pre-arranged funerals with clients
• Problem-solve any unexpected situations and issues
• Help clean the facility
Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.—as well as some week nights, weekends, and holidays when on call and when services fall on a weekend or holiday. The successful applicant will be added to the rotating call schedule after a training and probationary period.
Required Education Funeral Director
• Current mortician’s license that meets State of Montana requirements, or the ability to reciprocate license from another state
• 2+ years of work experience as a licensed funeral director
Funeral Director Apprentice
• Associates Degree, minimum, and successful completion of Mortuary Science curriculum
• Successful completion of National Board exam
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Kind and compassionate demeanor
• Professional dress and appearance
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Motivated, detail-oriented self-starter with ability to prioritize projects
• Microsoft Office Suite, including Publisher and PowerPoint—ProShowGold experience a plus
• Technology expertise a plus—converting files, video editing, etc.
• Clean driving record and valid driver’s license
Compensation package includes: competitive salary based on experience; plus matched Simple IRA plan, paid time off, and contribution toward health coverage after probationary period.
Bozeman is home to an unending variety of outdoor activities including: camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, skiing, and much, much more.
Please send cover letter & resume via email by Friday, January 25 to both: